An lanh

Thứ Hai, 12 tháng 12, 2011

LESSON 1




to get in/to get on: to enter or to board a vehicle
To get in is used for cars; to get on is used for all other forms of transportation.
  • It's easiest to get in the car from the driver's side. The door on the other side doesn't work well.
  • I always get on the bus to work at 34th Street.

to get out of/to get off: to leave or to descend from a vehicle.
To get out of is used for cars; to get off is used for all other forms of transportation.
  • Why don't we stop and get out of the car for a while?
  • Helen got off the train at the 42nd Street terminal.

to put on: to place on oneself (usually said of clothes) (S)
  • Mary put on her coat and left the room.
  • Put your hat on before you leave the house.

to take off: to remove (usually said of clothes) (S)
  • John took off his jacket as he entered the office.
  • Take your sweater off. The room is very warm.

to call up: to telephone (also: to give some one a call) (S)
To call can be used instead of to call up, as in the first example below.
  • I forgot to call up Mr. Jones yesterday. I'd better call him now.
  • Call me up tomorrow, Jane. We'll arrange a time to have lunch together.
I promise to give you a call as soon as I arrive in New York.


 to turn on: to start or cause to function (also: to switch on) (S)
  • Please turn on the light; it's too dark in here.
  • Do you know who turned the air conditioning on?
to turn off: to cause to stop functioning (also: to switch off, to shut off) (S)
Turn on and turn off, as well as their related forms, are used for things that flow, such as electricity, water, gas, etc.
  • Please turn off the light when you leave the room.
  • Are you really listening to the radio, or should I turn it off?

right away: very soon; immediately (also: at once)
  • Dad says that dinner will be ready right away, so we'd better wash our hands and set the table.
  • Tell Will to come to my office right away. I must see him immediately.
  • Stop playing that loud music at once!

to pick up: to lift form the floor, table, etc., with one's fingers (S)
  • Harry picked up the newspaper that was on the front doorstep.
  • Could you pick your toy up before someone falls over it?

sooner or later: eventually, after a period of time
  • If you study English seriously, sooner or later you'll become fluent.
  • I'm too tired to do my homework now; I'm sure I'll do it sooner or later.

to get up: to arise, to rise from a bed; to make someone arise (S)
For the last definition a noun phrase must separate the verb and particle.
  • Carla gets up at seven o'clock every morning.
  • At what time should we get the children up tomorrow?

at first: in the beginning, originally
  • At first English was difficult for him, but later he made great progress.
I thought at first that it was Sheila calling, but then I realized that it was Betty.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét