An lanh

Thứ Ba, 27 tháng 12, 2011

LESSON 35




to pin on: to find guilty of a crime or offense (S) (also: to hang on)
This idiom is divided by a noun phrase containing the crime or offense. The accused person is mentioned after the preposition on.
o       The prosecuting attorney tried to pin the murder on the victim's husband, but the jury returned a verdict of "not guilty."
o       I wasn't anywhere near the window when it got broken. You can't pin that on me.

to get a rise out of: to provoke a response from
This idiom is usually used when someone is teased into responding in anger or annoyance.
o       You can kid me all day about my mistake, but you won't get a rise out of me.
o       I got a rise out of Marvin when I teased him about his weight. Marvin weighs over two-hundred pounds.

to stick around: to stay or remain where one is, to wait
This idiom is used when someone is waiting for something to happen or for someone to arrive
o       Todd had to stick around the house all day until the new furniture was finally delivered in the late afternoon.
o       Why don't you stick around for a while and see if Sarah eventually shows up?

to pick up the tab: to pay the cost or bill
This idiom applies when someone pays for the cost of another person's meal, tickets, etc.
o       The advertising manger is flying to Puerto Rico for a conference, and her firm is picking up the tab.
o       The government picked up the tab for the visiting dignitary. It paid for all of the lodging and meals, as well as transportation, during his stay.

by the way: incidentally
This idiom is used when someone thinks of something further in the course of a conversation.
o       Movies are my favorite form of entertainment. Oh, by the way, have you seen the new picture that's playing at the Bijou?
o       Vera's been divorced for three years now. She told me, by the way, that she never plans to remarry.

to go to town: to do something with enthusiasm and thoroughness
o       Our interior decorator really went to town in remodeling our living room. I'm afraid to ask how much it's going to cost.
o       Charlie really went to town on his research project. He consulted over forty reference works and wrote a ninety-page report.

to let slide: to neglect a duty (S); to ignore a situation (S)
o       Terry knew that she should have paid the electric bill on time instead of letting it slide. Now the utility company has turned off her service.
o       When he tried to get a rise out of me by mentioning my failure to receive a promotion at work, I just let it slide.

search me: I don't know (also: beats me)
This idiom is used informally, usually as a command form.
o       When Elmer asked his wife if she knew why the new neighbors left their garage door open all night, she responded, "Search me."
o       When I asked Dereck why his girlfriend wasn't at the party yet, he said, "Beats me. I expected her an hour ago."

to get off one's chest: to express one's true feelings (S)
This idiom is used when someone has long waited to express themselves.
o       Ellen felt a lot better when she finally talked to a counselor and got the problem off her chest.
o       Faye hasn't shared her concern about her marriage with her husband yet. I think that she should get it off her chest soon.

to live it up: to spend money freely, to live luxuriously
o       Kyle and Eric saved up money for two years so that they could travel to Europe and live it up.
o       After receiving a large inheritance from a rich aunt, I was able to live it up for years.

to liven up: to energize, to make more active (also: to pick up)
o       The teacher occasionally took the class on field trips just to liven things up a bit.
o       The animals in the zoo began to liven up when evening came and the temperatures dropped.
o       Many people have to drink coffee every morning just to pick themselves up.

to have a voice in: to share involvement in
o       The new vice-president was promised that she would have a voice in developing the company's international expansion.
o       The students are trying to have a voice in college affairs by gaining representation on administrative committees.

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét